Saturday, July 12, 2008

recipes....

Someone at our u-pick asked for some recipes from us...the farmers. It is kind of the same story as the dentist's kids have bad teeth, the shoemaker's kids don't have shoes....well....do we really eat what we grow?? Sometimes we only eat the fruit we grow fresh off the bushes. We actually think it tastes better outside. Once you bring the berries into the house, they don't taste as good and especially once you refrigerate them....forget about it. They aren't fresh anymore!!! Yes, I know, we are spoiled. (The farmer says, "HE loves cooked cobblers....!! and he wishes someone would cook one for him more often!") We do like to freeze our berries and use them in the winter. so....I have found that the best way to get a new recipe is to look on the internet!! (if I get brave, I may show you a picture of my recipe cupboard...yes, I said, cupboard. I don't just have a recipe box, I have a whole shelf in the cupboard FULL of unorganized recipes.) I have started keeping the recipes I like on OneNote on my computer!..works great.
Our 'home for the summer-college' daughter made a blueberry crisp for us last night. The recipe came right out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook! I also have found some great recipes from a few blogs that I visit regularly. I will share those with you....BUT be forewarned, if you are like me, once you start looking at these blogs you may get hooked!!!
Check these out: muffins....http://mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/2008/06/blueberry-crumb-muffins.html
blueberry smoothie... http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/07/blueberry-yogurt-smoothie-try-it/
yogurt cream & berries... http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/yogurt-cream-and-berries/
these recipes all use blueberries...of course, my favorite. Go to our website...click on the 'LINKS' button. This will take you to some websites that have more great berry recipes.
Our family has the farmer's favorite peach cobbler recipe (which also works great with berries) and my sister-in-law makes awesome marionberry syrup. I will share these recipes with you in the future!!
ps...here's the cupboard

1 comment:

Nancy and Terry said...

Is that fabric in there? Hey, I've seen worse cabinets... thanks for sharing the recipes.